Huntly Station

Save Our Huntly Railway Station


We have saved our Railway Station! March 12th 2004. we got the news we have been working for, for over a year!
We now own the Huntly Railway Station! Now comes more hard work! We have to move it! More details as they come to hand.

Please check down the bottom of the page!

Huntly Station People of Huntly, It's time to save our Railway Station!

Our Railway Station is on a list of Heritage Buildings that our Council have! It was built in 1939! And did you read in the Tatler last week that it was to be demolished!

Time to save one of our few Heritage buildings left!

So everyone please ring our Waikato County Council and let them know! We want our Railway Station!

What you don't know is that Our Waikato Coalfields Museum is already working towards saving this building. We are asking Council to move it to the new site of the Waikato Coal Fields Museum at Weavers Crossing! So please help us to do this thing!

STOP PRESS! Community Board Meeting Tuesday 18th March, 2003. Discussion about the RAILWAY BUILDING and that the Board is not INTERESTED!

Okay, from the meeting the only point worth noting is that the reports will be forwarded to the Waikato Coalfields Museum. The meeting was suitably solemn! - It's almost a case of why bother - nobody cares a damn!

The Struggle for the Second Railway Station

by J.A.T.Terry. Original copy in the care of The Waikato Coalfields Museum.

"The original Huntly station building was one of standard 4th class. Over the years it was added to, and a verandah also added.
In March 1920 the Town Board wrote to the Department setting out the need for better accomodation at the station.
When in November 1922 the Railway's General Manager visited Huntly he informed the Town Board that there was no need for a new station and besides there was no money available, but when there was, he would give favourable consideration. In 1924 the Minster of Railways produced a Programme of Improvenments and New Works (AJHR D 24). It covered an 8 year period. For Huntly a re arrangement was provided. The total cost would be 40,000. No work would be undertaken until the 5th year when 15,000 would be expended with the remaining 25,000 in year 6.
In June 1928 the Minster wrote to the Town Board. Plans were at present under consideration for a new station about 15 chains south of Rayners Road. He mentioned the 1924 programme provided for this arrangement being commerced in 5 years and when plans were finalised a copy would be sent to the board.
A public meeting in March 1930 convened by the Town Board doscussed proposals submitted by the Department to construct a new station building 24 feet north of the present site. The station building would be of wood with Marseilles roof tiles. The proposal was approved.
In March 1932 the local MP advised the Council that owing to lack of funds a new station building would not be proceeded with.
November 1933. In a letter to the Council the General Manager advised it was necessary to restrict expenditure especially to works that could be classed as pressingly urgent and really essential and suggested that work at Huntly didnot come within this work. Traffic at the station had decreased 42% as compared with a year before. That would indicate to Council the need for improved facilities was not nearly so pressing as it was two years ago. The Department found no difficultly in carrying out operations at Huntly with facilities then provided.
In May 1935 it was arranged that 17,000 would be spent on new sidings and at the station building there would be an office for the Stationmaster, and additions to to the Ladies Waiting Room. This did not go down well with the Council considering that in view of the delapidated state of the station building it was an opportune time to make representations to the local MP for a new building. The reply to the MP from the Minster was far from encouraging. The General Manager was fully aware of of the position and it was the attitude of the Railway Board that the proposed improvements to the station building would be sufficent for reasonable requirements. The improvements to the station building were completed by February 1936.
A Guards and Porters room was provided, the Ladies waiting room remodelled and there was an office for the Stationmaster.
On 2 July 1936 when the new Minister of Railways was at Huntly he said that provided the Government was re elected, a new station building would be provided. Towards the end of May 1938 the Stationmaster recieved advice that a new building would be erected. It would be placed 10 - 15ft south of the present building.
Preliminary work started in August 1938. The new building was opened for business on Sunday 28th May 1939. There would be no Marseilles tiles on the roof.
The building had a porters room, accomodation for parcels, a very long general office in which there was a 55 lever electric frame which would be operated by the clerical staff. A room was set aside for the Stationmaster. There was a lobby, and a well appointed Ladies waiting room. By July 1939 the old staion building had been demolished. A long platform was constructed on each side of the building extending along the site on which the original station stood."

An extract from TRAINS TALK

(The New Zealand Railway & Locomotive Society Inc - Waikato Branch)

April 1993:
"Have noticed the recently painted Huntly Railway Station building, a project of the Huntly Lions Club. The Great South Road runs along side the building and concerned at the poor state of the building Foot Bridge and to the image of Huntly it gave, Lions approached the Railways in Wellington to paint the Station. After nearly three years of getting nowhere, Mr Story, Minster of the Environment was approached and he suggested that Railways should again be contacted. No doubt he had some words for the approach was now successful. Railways supplied the paint and made a contribution towards the labour".

Same issue mentioned the foot bridge that was at the end of the Station............
On Sunday 14 March (93) bowstring truss bridge # 275 leading from the centre of the Main Street, Huntly onto the station platform, was removed and loaded onto a trailer bound for Hellensville. The bridge was gifted by Railways to the Rodney Community and Development Trust which is revamping the Railway station and plans tourist steam trips to and from Auckland. Once the bridge is in place at Hellensville it will allow passengers to walk from their train to boats waiting on the Kaipara Harbour for trips to Gargaville. The group has already purchased and restored the station building and established Tearooms. Contrary to the report in the N.Z. Herald that the bridge had been a feature in Huntly since the turn of the century it was only 54 years old. It was erected in 1939 it spanned the up line and two shunting lines. When the Great South Road bypass was built (opened in 1979) the road used the site of the two shunting lines and to allow adequate clearance for road transport the span had to be raised.
The Bridge Comes Down! The Huntly Press of March 17 reported anger and dismay as the response from some residents at it's removal. It would seem the major concern was it's unavailablity for the annual Huntly half-marathon as the removal means the organisers have to reroute the course. The sole purpose of the bridge was to give access to passengers at the station from the town centre. Few passengers now use trains at Huntly and there is access from Raynors Road. It seems the local Council was offered the bridge but with a repair bill estimated at $10,000 the offer was turned down. (Photo by J.A.T. Terry)"

Huntly Station

We have now saved our Railway Station! Took over a year but we have it now!


The above two photos show the Station being moved by Jack House Removal Company.

This page compiled no charge by Alan Coates, webmaster of Huntly Net, to increase the wareness of our Heritage. This is fast disappearing! Remember the Post Office, remember our Town Hall, What about the Carbo works!

On behalf of the Waikato Coalfields Museum, We feel that the Railway station would be a great addition to the National Coalfields Museum, to be built on the site of an old coal mine at Weavers Crossing, but more about that later........

copyright Kiwi Alan. Updated on June 15, 2004. Contact Webmaster
To return Home, Click here!

To find our new Web site